KSUT Public Radio has released ‘Roots & Rhythms 5’, the fifth in a series of one of a kind CD collections composed of in-studio performances. The disc features twenty songs, originally performed live on KSUT, by nationally known musicians who’ve visited the station while in the region for concerts and festivals. The Roots & Rhythms’ series serves as a memento of the area’s live music scene.
Guests include some of the best touring artists to perform locally in recent years. From the “Texican” rock trio Los Lonely Boys; to Americana singer-songwriters Jimmy LaFave and Slaid Cleaves; blues singers Janiva Magness and Eric Bibb – and Canadian fiddler and step dancer April Verch, the variety of musical genres fits the eclectic nature of KSUT’s music programming. Returning guests Eliza Gilkyson and Maura O’Connell have been included on earlier volumes of Roots & Rhythms. New emerging bands such as The Black Lillies, The Greencards, Assembly of Dust and MilkDrive provide an opportunity to introduce some fresh talent to the KSUT audience.
All songs were recorded live in the KSUT studios. Permission to use each track was sought and granted from the artists and their publishing companies, who waived royalties so all profits would benefit KSUT. Conditionally, the CD is limited-edition (2000 copies), cannot be sold at retail and is only available as a fundraising gift. Earlier volumes, Roots & Rhythms 1 through 4 are out of print.
Roots & Rhythms 5 is available with a $72 membership pledge to KSUT. The station’s Summer pledge drive takes place August 22-27, 2011. Membership can be pledged on-line @ksut.org or by phone 970-563-0255.
Roots & Rhythms 5 track listing:
1. Eric Bibb • New Home
2. Eliza Gilkyson • Beauty Way
3. Black Lillies • Two Hearts
4. Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison • Not Forgotten You
5. David Hidalgo & Louis Perez • The Valley
6. Assembly of Dust • Light Blue Lover
7. April Verch • A Riverboat’s Gone/Bumblebee in a Jug
8. Band of Heathens • What’s This World
9. Janiva Magness • The Devil Is An Angel Too
10. Indigenous • Things We Do
11. Lipbone Redding & The Lipbone Orchestra • Dogs of Santiago
12. The Greencards • Girl in the Telescope
13. Slaid Cleaves • Wishbones
14. Maura O’Connell • Galileo (Someone Like You)
15. Jimmy LaFave • River Road
16. Gretchen Peters • Breakfast At Our House
17. Jonatha Brooke • West Point
18. Los Lonely Boys • Fly
19. MilkDrive • Benny’s Bus
20. The Gourds • Country Love
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment